General Synod 2016 passed a resolution to change the Marriage Canon (Canon XXI, On Marriage in the Church) so it will apply to “all persons who are duly qualified by civil law to enter into marriage.” This resolution will only come into effect if it is passed by General Synod at a second reading (in 2019). Between the first (2016) and second (2019) reading, the resolution is to “be referred for consideration to diocesan and provincial synods.”
What is the process the Diocese of Huron is using to consider the proposed changes to the Marriage Canon?
- Overview of the Huron Process, June 2017
Step One: Workshop at Diocesan Synod 2017. The workshop introduced synod to the task and the resources available. Read more and access resources from Synod 2017:
- 2017 Report to Synod, February 2017, Marriage Canon Task Force (MCTF)
- Background Paper and Resources – written to accompany the 2017 Report to Synod; includes a brief overview of events and actions, as well as links to resources, from the Anglican Church of Canada, the Diocese of Huron, and across the Anglican Communion, March 2017, MCTF.
- Bishop Linda’s Synod Presentation on the Marriage Canon, May 2017
- 2017 Synod Conversation Group Norms, May 2017, MCTF
- 2017 Synod Conversation Group Questions, May 2017, MCTF
- 2017 Synod participants Feedback – helped to shape the deanery-based conversations and to guide develpment of additional resources, June 2017, MCTF
Step Two: series of deanery-based gatherings for conversation in fall 2017 and winter 2018. The objective of the process is to gather opinion, concerns, and recommendations to be forwarded to General Synod. Its intent and aim is one of listening and discussion. As such, and as per our Bishop’s directive, Diocesan Synod will not vote on the General Synod motion. (At the appropriate time, the Huron Synod will elect its representatives to General Synod 2019, who will attend and vote on the motion at its second reading.)
Dates for Deanary Gatherings (Note, you are wwelcome to attend gatherings in a neighbouring deanery if the dates in your deanery do not work for you).
- Kent: November 1, 2017 at Christ Church, Chatham, 1:30 pm OR November 7, 2017 at Christ Church, Dresden, 7:00 pm
- London: November 28, 2017 at St. Luke’s, Broughdale, 7:00 pm OR February 10, 2018 at St. Michaels and All Angels, 10:00 am
- Lambton: November 22, 2017 at Trinity Church, Sarnia, 6:00 pm meal; 7:00 pm gathering
- Saugeens: November 22, 2017 in Port Elgin OR November 29 in Meaford
- Waterloo: January 13, 2018, 10:00 am OR January 17, 2018, 7:00 pm
- Essex: November 28, 2017 at Church of the Epiphany, Kingsville, 7:00 pm OR January 16, 2018 at St. James, Roseland, 7:00 pm
- Additional dates and locations to be added as they are announced.
To help you prepare fot the deanery-based gatherings, the Diocesan Marriage Canon Task Force (MCTF) has created or assembled a number of resources.
- This Holy Estate, September 2015, report from the National Marriage Commission prepared for General Synod. We urge you to read the full document.
- Summary of Theological and Scriptural Issues, September 2017, MCTF
- 2017 Deanary Gatherings Group Norms, May 2017
- Questions for Deanery Conversations, October 2017, MCTF
- Video for Deanery Conversations, October 2017, MCTF